Application to the PhD ProgramFor admission to PhD program of the Department of Physics and Astronomy the following, in addition to the minimum Graduate School requirements, are required:
- A bachelor degree in physics or related field from an accredited institution;
- A minimum grade average of B in all undergraduate coursework, and B or better in the sciences and mathematics;
- Submission of the Graduate Record Examination (GRE) General Test and Physics GRE subject test. The GRE submission code of the graduate school is 2548. Note that GRE scores are collected by the graduate school and not by the department.
The following material should be included with your application:
- A statement of purpose, decribing interests and motivation to pursue a PhD degree.Note that your statement
will be read by physicists outside your own field, and the level should be such that anyone with a Bachelor
degree in physics can understand it. One thing we try to distill from your statement is how excited you are
about physics and your research. So do not put in too many details because this easily may make it boring to
someone who is not in the field. Also do no make it longer than one page. Remind that we have to read hundreds
of statements, and we really appreciate if a statement is interesting and exciting.
Please do not cut and paste your personal statement from Microsoft Word because this may become unreadable on Macintosh computers which we alluse.
- Transcripts from all colleges and univeristies you attended as well as additional materials such as your CV, should be uploaded electronically.
- Three recommendation letters which should be submitted electronically. Please tell the faculty not to cut and paste from Microsoft Word.
- All applicants are required to take the GRE General Test; The physics subject test is
strongly recommended but is not required. Applicants whose native language is not English must
take the TOEFL test.
Have the ETS send the GRE and TOEFL score to the graduate school (paper copies of you score will not be accepted. Please use the following code: Stony Brook University Institution Code: 2548 (According to the ETS our name is SUNY Center Stony Brook) Please enter your GRE and TOEFL scores (and date, percentile, etc.) in the online application of ApplyYourself. These scores will be used in the admission decision. Your official scores may have been received but not yet entered in Applyyourself by the administrative staff: they typically suffer a backlog of several weeks at this time of year. Only if and when you are accepted and admitted, the official test scores will required and cross-checked.
- If you English has been your most used language for many years, please fill out that English is your native or primary language. Otherwise you will have to do a Toefl test. Having been in an English speaking country for a couple of years is not sufficient.
The deadline for application is January 15, 2017.
|Frequenly Asked Question on applications can be found at this link.|