For admission to the MA program of the Department of Physics and Astronomy the following, in addition to the minimum Graduate School requirements, are required:
- A bachelor degree in physics or related field from an accredited institution;
- A minimum grade average of B in all undergraduate coursework, and B or better in the sciences and mathema\ tics;
- Submission of the Graduate Record Examination (GRE) General Test (the Physics GRE subject test is also re\ commended).
The following material should be included with your application:
- A statement of purpose, decribing interests and motivation to pursue a PhD degree. Not that your stament will be read by physicsts outside your field and it should be understandable for anyone with a Bachelor degree in Physics. We are looking for a statement that shows your excitement for physics or astronomy and please refrain from too much technical details because that easily makes it boring to someone who is not in the field. The length should not be longer than one page. Please do not cut and paste your personal statement from Microsoft Word because that becomes unreadable on Macintosh computers we are using.
- Transcripts from all colleges and univeristies you attended as well as additional materials such as your CV, should be uploaded electronically.
- Three recommendation letters which should be submitted electronically. Please tell the faculty not to cut and paste from Microsoft Word.
- All applicants are required to take the GRE General Test; The physics subject test is
strongly recommended but is not required. Applicants whose native language is not English must
take the TOEFL test.
Have the ETS send the GRE and TOEFL score to the graduate school (paper copies of you score will not be accepted. Please use the following code: Stony Brook University Institution Code: 2548 (According to the ETS our name is SUNY Center Stony Brook)
- If you English as your dayly language, please fill out that English is your native language. Otherwise you will have to do a Toefl test.
The deadline for application is January 15, 2017.
|Frequenly Asked Questions on applications can be found at this link.|