From: Jacobus Verbaarschot, Graduate Program Director
I am looking forward to see you in Stony Brook soon. This is a follow-up to my email in June to remind you about
a few important items you have to be prepared for.
To: Entering Grad. Students
Date: Summer, 2012
- Participating in the orientation is required by the University for employment as a teaching assistant.
for the dates and details, or check the Graduate School's WEB page.
- If you want to take the Placement Exam, you should refresh your knowledge in the corresponding
subject matter. Please refer to this page
to get an idea about the content of the courses. Our WEB page about the recent exam problems,
may be also helpful.
- If you did graduate core course elsewhere, and you would like to substitute the core courses by advanced course,
please bring all related material with you.
- If you did an advanced laboratory course at home, and you wish to be exempted from our course,
please bring all related material with you. See the "Courses, credits and exams" section of
- Please bring the official copy of your final transcript, plus original GRE and TOEFL scores (except if you have already mailed it).
- There are other official papers that you must bring with you so there will be no
delays in your health insurance or Employment Eligibility Verification. All Documents must be in English!
For health Insurance:
For employment verification (i.e. for being paid as a TA) a typical interantional student uses the passport and the Social
Security Card. International students will receive a card shortly after they arrive.
Personal birth certificate or unexpired passport (Note: only birth
certificates will be accepted for dependent children - if applicable.)
Original Social Security Card - (International students will be able to
apply for and receive a card shortly after they arrive).
Proof of support/dependence for other children - if applicable.
Proof of disability (- if applicable.)
The legal marriage of same-sex partners will be recognized for the purpose
of providing spousal benefits, in one of the Graduate School Employee
Health Insurance Plans, when the marriage has been performed in a specific
jurisdiction. The student employees should contact Danielle Bray for
- Bring cash/credit card to buy food and other stuff.
- The Solar System, http://it.cc.stonybrook.edu/solar,
is used for housing, course registration and other matters. Send an email to Sara lutterbie at firstname.lastname@example.org if you do not know your number.
- Those who have still not received their I20 must be patient.... The Department cannot do
anything to speed up the process.
Looking forward to see you here,
Last updated 8/9/2012 by Jacobus Verbaarschot.