We are asking our recent graduates to send us a page that describes the thesis work in a form that is accessible to a
general physics audience (e.g. a 2nd year grad student). Preferably, it should have pictures or
figures, but no more than two. It should include the name of the student, the date of defense,
and the title of the dissertation. We also ask you to include a picture of yours, and (if
possible) identify your employment after graduation.
Ph.D. Project abstracts
- April 4, 2007: Benjamin Hornberger (Chris Jacobsen)"Phase Contrast Microscopy with Soft and Hard X-rays Using a Segmented Detector" - pdf.
- Dec 4, 2006: Chad Bender (Michal Simon)"Dynamical Masses of Low Mass Spectroscopic Binary Stars" - pdf.
- Oct. 26, 2005: Matthew Carmell ()""
- Sept. 27, 2005: Xiangyun Chang (Elan Ben-Zvi) ""
- Sept. 9, 2005: Ryan Requist (Alexandre Abanov and Philip Allen) "Theory of tunneling errors in quantum computing operations, the quantum electric dipole of a molecule, and spin collapse of a magnetic impurity"
- September 8, 2005: Anne Sickles (Barbara Jacak) ""
- Aug. 29, 2005: Kristian Rabenstein (Dmitri Averin) "Decoherence and Measurement of Josephson-Junction Qubits" - ppt.
- Summer, 2005: Daniel Yohannes (Sergey Tolpygo) "Process development for higher speed superconductor microeletcronics" - pdf.
- Summer, 2005: Jamil Egdemir (Ralf Averbeck) "Nuclear Modification of Electrons from Heavy Flavor Decays at RHIC" - pdf.
- May 11, 2005: Eduardo Gomez (Luis Orozco) "Francium and rubidium spectroscopy" - pdf.
- May 10, 2005: Yusuf Kinkhabwala (Kostya Likharev) "Quasi-continuous Charge Transfer via Electron Hopping Polarization" - pdf.
- Apr 12, 2005: Bryan J. Field (Jack Smith) "Higgs Phenomenology in the Standard Model and Beyond" - pdf.
- Mar 16, 2005: Sergey Pflyuk (Vasili Semenov) "Development of Next Generation of Superconductor RSFQ Devices" - ppt.
- Dec 15, 2004: David Shapiro (Janos Kirz, David Sayre) "Biological Imaging by Soft X-Ray Diffraction Microscopy" - pdf.
- Dec 10, 2004: Constantin Vaman (David Fossan, Gene Sprouse) "
Systematic Search of pg9/2n9/2h11/2
Chiral Doubled Bands and Role of Triaxiality in Z=45 Isotopes : 102,103,104,105,106Rh
" - pdf.
- Dec 9, 2004: Zuxin Ye (Qiang Li) "Magneto Optical Imaging of Magnetic Flux in Superconductors" - pdf.
- Dec 2, 2004: Matt Partlow (Hal Metcalf) "Bichromatic Collimation to Make an Intense Helium Beam" - pdf.
- Dec 1, 2004: Woon Song (Emilio Mendez) "Shot Noise in Negative- Differential- Conductance Devices" - pdf.
- Oct 27, 2004: Konstantinos Zoubos (Rocek) "Holography, Green's Functions and Conformal Invariance" - pdf.
- Sept 16, 2004: Ray Fliller (Steve Peggs) "The Crystal Collimation System of the Relativistic Heavy Ion Collider" - pdf, ppt
- Aug 31, 2004: Anuj Purwar (Tom Hemmick) "Initial and Final State Effects in Ultrarelativistic Heavy Ion Collisions Using Hadronic Probes"
- Summer 2004: Marian Zdrazil (Michael Rijssenbeek) "Search for doubly charged Higgs bosons" - pdf
- May 14, 2004: Nathan Clisby (Barry McCoy) "Negative Virial Coefficients for Hard Spheres" - pdf
- May 13, 2004: Alok Gambhir (Stuart McLaughlin, Biophysics) "Physical Mechanisms Facilitate the Flow of Information in Cells" - ppt, pdf, photos
- May 10, 2004: Valeriu Zetocha (Thomas Schaefer) "Instanton contributions to hadronic processes" - ps, pdf and doc
- May 5, 2004: Tobias Beetz (Chris Jacobsen) "Soft X-ray imaging with and without lenses and Radiation damage"- pdf (this is 2.5MB, may be slow to download)
- Apr 15, 2004: Diyar Talbayev (Laszlo Mihaly) "Far-Infrared Spectroscopic Study of Electron Spin Resonance in LaMnO3" - ppt, ps
- Mar 3, 2004: Zhongmin Wang (Michael Rijssenbeek) "Search for Chargino-Neutralino Pair Production
with the D0 Detector at the Tevatron " - ppt, ps
- Feb 19, 2004: Tibor Kúcs (George Sterman) "QCD Resummation Techniques" - pdf.
- Dec 8, 2003: Oleg Anton Kritsun (Hal Metcalf) "Atom optics with Rydberg States in Inhomogeneous Electric Fields" - ppt and pdf. See also the photos:
defending the thesis, celebrating, and more celebrations
- Nov 23, 2003: Tianfang Li (Jerome Z. Liang, Radiology; Peter Stephens) "Quantitative Reconstruction for Brain SPECT with Fan-Beam Collimators" - ppt and pdf
- Nov 15, 2003: Athans Hatzikoutelis (Peter Paul) "Search for a Massive Shortlived Axion in Nuclear Transitions" - ppt, ps
- Oct 22, 2003: Tevfik Onur Mentes (C.C. Kao, BNL) "Imaging Magnetic Thin Films Using Resonant X-Ray Scattering" - html, ps and ppt
- Sep 26, 2003: Loic Grandchamp-Desraux (Ralf Rapp) "J/Y Production in Heavy-Ion
- Fall 2003: Yiing Rei Chen (Phil Allen) "Theory of Two Perovskite Solid Systems"
- Fall 2003: Gary Gluckman (Lawrence Reinstein, Radiology) "Optimization of dosimetry techniques for 3D conformal and intensity
modulated radiation therapy"
Created 10/20/2003 by Laszlo Mihaly.
Go back to the
Physics & Astronomy Graduate program.